Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Caution: Scraps in Use

Inspired by Leanne/shecanquilt and Nicky/mrs sew & sow, I've really begun trying to use my scraps in earnest. Most recently, I collected all the random binding bits I'd saved, and stitched them together, and am using the result to bind my current scrappy quilt.
Also for said quilt, I made a fairly scrappy backing, this time inspired by Victoria Findlay Wolfe, who I had the distinct fortune of being able to hear speak in person last week. AND I saw many of her quilts. AND I was reminded that #15minutesofplay a day makes a difference, and can be hugely motivating. Obviously I got carried away, and it took a few more than 15 minutes, but everything you see below except for the solid was sewn directly from my scrap basket. oh yeah.
So no, the basket isn't anywhere near empty yet. But I'm working at it.

12 comments:

  1. That quilt is awesome!!! So vibrant and funky. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are doing great. Isn't Victoria inspiring? I sure love your scrappy projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love! I'm trying to use what I have but working at the quilt store is not helping me at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got to hear Victoria speak - if she ever comes this way, I'd love to meet her in person!

    Scraps make me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!!! I love using my scraps, too, and my drawers are overflowing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you noticed that with all the portion you lose in seam allowances that getting to a decent sized 'made fabric' in Victoria's words uses up quite a few scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But it does feel good to use the scraps, No???
    Can't wait to see the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well good luck with burning through them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. I'm having kind of a conversation with myself, trying to decide whether to keep all my scraps or share them. I like the IDEA of using my scraps more than actually using them. Maybe I just need to do a bit more organizing...

    ReplyDelete