Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tuesday at the Table

While I was busy rushing to and fro and crossing things off my personal to-do list last weekend, hubby headed to the kitchen. Like to bake. By himself. This was highly unusual, but I didn't ask too many questions. And before long, the house was smelling really good, and wouldn't you know, he had made biscotti. Smitten Kitchen's gingerbread biscotti to be exact. And honestly, if you like biscotti even a tiny bit, you should make these too. We took a coffee break that afternoon to taste-test them with a short café Cubano. {Our Americanized version consists of a double shot of espresso drawn over a teaspoon or so of brown sugar, topped off with a spot of cream.} Anyway, we declared them a rousing success.
Another recent success from Smitten Kitchen was her fromage fort which I made for our recent guild party. Basically it's a garlicky herb cheese spread. It was really easy to make (can you say, "clean out the cheese drawer?"), and spread on baguette slices, was pretty darn addicting. It would be a great appetizer to make ahead and have on hand for the holidays.
Speaking of, menus are set for Christmas Day. The family starts things off with brunch at our house, and I'll be repeating the popular and yummy Cinnamon French Toast with Ricotta Filling, served up with Coffee Bacon. I know. That bacon sounds pretty weird, but we love it, and by now, it's practically tradition.

Fingers crossed as I try Horseradish-Rubbed Roast later in the day for dinner - recommended with high praise by my hairdresser no less! Figure it will go great with the Classic Mashed Potatoes, which we enjoyed so much at Thanksgiving. I'm keeping it easy by letting the family round out the meal.

So what's going on in your kitchen? I know things are hectic, but I'd love to hear what I'm missing! {wink}

9 comments:

  1. It sounds very yummy at your house. I am making more cookies later today and we have a very traditional Turkey spread planned for Christmas Day - but everyone loves it so it seems wrong to mess with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas Day at our house with our 3 sons and my parents - pork roast, potatoes and veggies to be followed by either an apple pie or pumpkin pie (or both).

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Christmas Eve, we will have prime rib, green beans with almonds, garlic mashed potatoes, and rolls. We'll have creme brûlée for dessert. On Christmas morning we always have a ham and cheese strata that is prepped the night before. It bakes while we open stockings and then we eat it for breakfast with coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice before opening presents. We stretch out the present-opening time by taking turns, opening one present at a time, and really enjoying our morning together (while drinking lots more coffee!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're having rock cornish game hens, stuffing, roasted root vegetables, green bean casserole, and cranberry conserve, wine with dinner, lemon bars and coffee and brandy for dessert. Can't wait. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all sounds wonderful! We celebrate with kids and grandkids on Christmas Eve and it will be classic lasagna, and garlic bread. And the making of monster cookies with the grandson! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!!!!! We are travelling for Christmas to a non-cooking house, so I'm vicariously drooling over your holiday spread :) Merry Christmas!! XX! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! It sounds like food is the honored guest at your family gatherings! Everything sounds intriguing, if not good! You all know how to do it up right. My hubs in the family cook, and is preparing an elaborate lasagne for our Christmas dinner... including his homemade lasagne noodles. I don't have to contribute a thing, and that's just fine by me! You'll find me in the sewing room. Have a blessed and merry Christmas, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had all the food sorted! We had roasted butternut squash and pear soup, followed by prosciutto wrapped pork loin stuffed with apples on top of cabbage in a cider cream sauce, accompanied by pommes dauphinoise and steamed asparagus, all rounded off with Christmas pudding and brandy butter.

    I also made mince pies and we had Christmas cake courtesy of my mum.

    ReplyDelete